RAPHAELI WALDORF SCHOOL
Conceived in 2008, ‘born’ in 2009, Raphaeli may be as yet the only Waldorf/Steiner school on the Garden Route, yet its 117 children, 10 teachers and 7 other staff members are part of a much larger family. Our South African sibling schools number 15, while the international family comprises over 1,000 schools and nearly 2,000 pre-schools in 70 countries. While working with local needs and inspiration, we share educational practices based on our common understanding of children’s development and capacities. These continue to prove successful 100 years after the first Waldorf school was founded. We…
- acknowledge the individual spirit of each child.
- believe children develop into competent, healthy adults when allowed to fully live their childhood.
- provide a culturally rich, broadly based curriculum (Pre-school – Class 7).
- balance academic, artistic and practical learning.
- view child, parents and teacher as a community.
- teach through engaging the children’s active will, feelings and intellect.
- weave the creative arts into the fabric of academic learning.
- value the importance of a beautiful classroom in a natural environment.
- strive to engender a sense of connectedness – to the child’s inner self, the natural world and the global community.
The school presently resides on a 21 hectare property, Olive Hill, on the Airport Road, overlooking the bay to the Tsitsikamma Mountains. With space and the commitment to grow, we look forward to the long term development of an inspirational community, living responsibly with our environment and fostering the emergence of adults confident, caring and ready for the future.